Thrive Wearables create world changing health and wellness wearable technology products and connected digital services. We are seeking a talented Firmware Engineer with extensive commercial experience, looking to join a fast paced progressive design house. The successful candidate will be joining the highly skilled, multidisciplinary team and working on some truly innovative and exciting projects.
Why work at Thrive
We work exclusively with clients in the health, wellbeing and fitness industries and we believe the work we do should have a positive impact on the world. We use our technical expertise to advise clients, (re)design their products, and build their roadmap for global-scale production. We not only solve our clients problems, we strive to exceed their expectations of design and research.
As well as client work, everyone at Thrive has the opportunity to work on our internal projects and innovations.
We excel at solving difficult engineering problems in the areas of electronics, product design, firmware and software. We work in small teams who own the design and development of each bespoke solution. At Thrive you will be expected to learn fast, take ownership and get stuck in. Everyone has a say on how we run the company and you will be a part of that.
Our office in the heart of the North Laine in Brighton is surrounded by excellent shops, food options and pubs and we try to make the most of them! We’re a team of friends as well as colleagues and socialise regularly, and if you like biscuits you’ll feel right at home.
About the role
We are looking for a motivated and experienced Firmware Engineer to join our team! As a Firmware Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting a multidisciplinary team in the design, development and production of our firmware supported products. You will be responsible for testing, documenting and creating firmware standards. You will work closely with clients and the Thrive team to gather and refine requirements, prototype and test products, and document your findings. Your experience and technical knowledge will be invaluable to the project process and we would expect an understanding of industry best practices. You will own and lead on the firmware development tasks, including rigorous testing to ensure we maintain a high level of quality. We have a strong collaborative culture and will expect an excellent team player and strong communicator who can bring their industry experience and fresh ideas to our evolving project processes. This role is ideal for those looking to take on more responsibility with the capability to lead on projects where necessary.
Our team covers all aspects of electronics, from simulation and development boards through to, PCB design, prototype build, firmware and software development. You will:
- Work with a team of engineers to design and build prototype electronics
- Work with the team to gain an in-depth understanding, whilst using their expert knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative solutions
- Develop the concept, debug it, prove key technologies and demonstrate designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacturing environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis
- Document all phases of the design, use version control and progress tracking tools
You should have:
- Experience of delivering electronic products and/or medical devices, from concept through to production
Essential skills & experience:
- BEng/MEng degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science / Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry
- Wide breadth of knowledge and experience
- Prototyping and research
- Dealing with vendors of new sensors, semiconductors and other technology
- Very strong hardware and software debugging skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Ablility to work consultatively and collaboratively with clients
- Ablility to supervise others
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail
- Multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure environment in an organised manner
- Strong team player
- Ability to hit deadlines
- I2C, SPI, UART, USB
- Firmware development in C/C++
- Application of development boards and peripherals – (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, STM32’s etc)
- digital Signal Processing
- Python or other scripting language
- Android and iOS Bluetooth connectivity
- Ase of oscilloscopes, logic analysers
We also value these skills & experience:
- STM32, LPC1100, LPC802
- Bluetooth processors (nRF52, CC2540)
- Sensors and interfacing (PPG, ECG, accelerometers)
- NFC, NAND Flash
- Analogue electronics, power electronics, low power electronics, radio design
- System design and architecture
- ISO 13485 QMS for medical devices
- ISO 14971 Risk analysis for medical devices
- ISO 62304 Software for medical devices
- CE marking and FCC compliance
- Soldering skills
- Root cause analysis skills
- An understanding of project management principles and approaches
Other job openings
Perks of the job
Salary: £35,000 – £50,000 depending on experience
Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
25 paid holidays +
UK Bank Holidays
Brilliant lab location in the heart of Brighton, with remote and flexible working options
Bike to work scheme and other flexible benefits that are aligned to our health and wellbeing focused mission
Charity giving scheme
The hiring process
We are committed to a fair, inclusive and transparent hiring process:
- All candidates will complete the application form.
- Top scorers through the initial application process will be invited to interview, and a pre-interview task will be shared (we’re much more interested in what people could do with us rather than a CV, so it’s good to be able to chat through an approach to an activity).
- Following this, we will hold shorter, meet the team interviews with some of the Thrive team to understand what candidates value in a place of work.
- We’ll offer the top candidate the role and start the onboarding process.
If you have any questions about the process, want to chat through the role, or are interested to find out what other roles we are hiring, please contact our recruitment team.
No agencies please.