Thrive Wearables Limited is the authority on wearable technology in the health & wellbeing space. With our in-depth understanding of how all aspects of wearables fit together, we help bring wearable technology products from idea to market.
We work with mission-aligned clients and partners to offer a full service experience around bringing wearables to life, from recommending the most appropriate physical components, digital solutions and ways of collecting the right data, to guidance on UX and UI design, IP, compliance, funding and getting investor-ready.
We are committed to achieving the highest standards of quality in the development work we do internally and the services we provide to clients and partners.
Why work at Thrive?
We work mostly with clients in the health, wellbeing and fitness industries and we believe the work we do should have a positive impact on the world. We use our technical expertise to advise clients, (re)design their products, and build their roadmap for global-scale production. We not only solve our clients problems, we strive to exceed their expectations of design and research.
We excel at solving difficult engineering problems in the areas of electronics, product design, firmware and software. We work in small teams who own the design and development of each bespoke solution. At Thrive you will be expected to learn fast and get stuck in. Everyone has a say on how we run the company and you will be a part of that.
About the role
You will work as part of a team to execute on client projects delivering the design and development of the system app working with a Project Lead, industrial engineers, firmware developers, software engineers and designers. You will work closely with clients and the Thrive team to gather and refine requirements, prototype and test products, and document your findings. Your experience and technical knowledge will be invaluable to the project process and we would expect an understanding of industry best practices. You will own software / app development tasks and have an understanding of UX and UI design, including rigorous testing to ensure we maintain a high level of quality. We have a strong collaborative culture and will expect an excellent team player and strong communicator who can bring their industry experience and fresh ideas to our evolving project processes. This role is ideal for those looking to start their career in a fast paced R&D environment.
Skills and experience
- You will ideally come from a software development background with a bias towards mobile app development
- Up-to-date knowledge of different app development frameworks (e.g. React Native, Xamarin)
- Experience developing for both Android and IOS
- Experience developing mobile apps that make use of wireless communication protocols (e.g. Bluetooth, NFC)
- Experience with Git or other version control software
- Experience with software development processes that include branching strategies and peer code reviews
- Awareness of design and development best practices
- Knowledge about software validation and verification techniques and tools (e.g. Unit Tests, Functional Tests, Regression Tests)
- Awareness of wireframe tools (e.g. Wireframe.cc and InVision)
- Awareness of working within an Agile software development environment
- Strongly detail-oriented with an ability to quickly identify and solve programming errors
- Rigorous and honest product test skills (QA)
- Curiosity and a drive to learn more
- Good team communication skills
- Desire to work collaboratively to ensure effective execution of project deadlines
Job accountabilities and responsibilities
As a junior engineer in the company you will be accountable for your own time management, delivering your agreed work packages on time and to quality.
You will be responsible for completing the tasks set, and for communicating at each stage, and for reaching out for assistance when necessary.
Your daily tasks will involve:
- Accurately translating UX / UI design requirements into mobile applications
- Developing software for the essential functions of the mobile application
- Working on application development in both ISO and Android environments
- Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders
- Conduct layout adjustments based on stakeholder feedback
- Other software development necessary for the completion of projects
You will be responsible for your self learning, to improve your skill sets which is encouraged at all levels in the company.
Other job openings
Perks of the job
£30k – 35k dependant on experience
Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
EMI share options to be introduced during 2021-22
25 paid holidays +
UK Bank Holidays
Brilliant lab location in the heart of Brighton, with remote and flexible working options
Bike to work scheme
Charity giving scheme
The hiring process
We are committed to a fair, inclusive and transparent hiring process:
- All candidates will complete the application form.
- Top scorers through the initial application process will be invited to interview, and a pre-interview task will be shared (we’re much more interested in what people could do with us rather than a CV, so it’s good to be able to chat through an approach to an activity).
- Following this, we will hold shorter, meet the team interviews with some of the Thrive team to understand what candidates value in a place of work.
- We’ll offer the top candidate the role and start the onboarding process.
If you have any questions about the process, want to chat through the role, or are interested to find out what other roles we are hiring, please contact our recruitment team.
No agencies please.