Thrive Wearables is the authority on wearable technology in the health & wellbeing space. With our in-depth understanding of how all aspects of wearables fit together, we help bring wearable technology products from idea to market.
We work with mission-aligned clients and partners to offer a full service experience around bringing wearables to life, from recommending the most appropriate physical components, digital solutions and ways of collecting the right data, to guidance on UX and UI design, IP, compliance, funding and getting investor-ready.
We are committed to achieving the highest standards of quality in the development work we do internally and the services we provide to clients and partners.
Why work at Thrive?
We work mostly with clients in the health, wellbeing and fitness industries and we believe the work we do should have a positive impact on the world. We use our technical expertise to advise clients, (re)design their products, and build their roadmap for global-scale production. We not only solve our clients’ problems, we strive to exceed their expectations of design and research.
We excel at solving difficult engineering problems in the areas of electronics, product design, firmware and software. We work in small teams who own the design and development of each bespoke solution. At Thrive you will be expected to learn fast and get stuck in. Everyone has a say on how we run the company and you will be a part of that.
About the role
This opportunity offers the chance to work on the design and development of ground-breaking wearable and IoT technologies in an industry that is growing fast. Every project will be different, and all staff have the opportunity to work on our internal projects and IP. As the Senior Software Engineer you will have overall responsibility for the quality of the software that the team produces as well as mentoring and coaching up the team’s level of competence across multiple software platforms.We offer diversity within our roles and the chance for our employees to leverage our in-house expertise to take their own ideas forward. We nurture our staff to allow their talents to shine by tutoring, training, support and encouragement in their roles.
Accountabilities and responsibilities
The Senior Software Engineer will have the ability to think architecturally, to design integrated software systems across multiple software / firmware modules and supervise specialist developers to deliver.
They will be focused on the development of innovative wearable products, with opportunities to work across the software development lifecycle, coding in C++, Python, Java and other programming languages, along with taking on some firmware development (Embedded C/C++). Other responsibilities will include analysis of customer needs and recommending appropriate solutions, software documentation, and testing.
They will be accountable for the software teams’ code quality and ability to produce and implement code within the project timescales, as well as training the software team and improving the efficiency of code produced.
The candidate will be able to demonstrate a high level of application software development, with an emphasis on C++.
Skills and experience
- Strong experience with back-end and front-end frameworks (e.g. Django, React, Flask, Angular)
- Strong experience with software quality assurance processes and best practices
- Expert in code quality, software design best practices, SOLID principles, and design patterns including code reuse
- C++, C, C#
- HTML, CSS
- Experience with AWS or Azure
- Strong experience with fast prototyping
- Strong knowledge of software quality assurance practices (Unit Testing, Functional Testing, Regression Testing, Continuous Integration, …)
- Strong experience developing web applications
- Experience developing mobile applications
- An understanding of embedded software / firmware development
- Developed applications for commercial release
- Collaborated with hardware engineers and designers to deliver integrated products
- Excellent problem solving skills and be able to draw on previous experiences to guide projects through to completion
- A team player, with good interpersonal and communication skills
- Can lead and/or guide on technical decisions
- Experience handling client requirements, and communicating with stakeholders
- Project coordination / management experience or an understanding of, or exposure to, project management principles
- An understanding of Agile and Lean principles
We also value experience of:
- Working within ISO 62304 or other software standards
- Working with ISO 14971 or other risk standards
- Working with ISO 27001 or other IT security standards
Other job openings
Perks of the job
£60,000 – £70,000 dependent on experience
25 paid holidays + Bank Holidays
Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
EMI share options to be introduced during 2022
Brilliant location in the heart of Brighton, with remote and flexible working options
Bike to work scheme
Charity giving scheme
The hiring process
We are committed to a fair, inclusive and transparent hiring process:
- All candidates will complete the application form
- Top scorers through the initial application process will be invited to interview, and a pre-interview task will be shared (we’re much more interested in what people could do with us rather than a CV, so it’s good to be able to chat through an approach to an activity)
- Further to an interview will be a short ‘personality’ test to ensure we know where you will fit with the current team.
- Following this, we will hold shorter, meet the team interviews with some of the Thrive team to understand what candidates value in a place of work
- We’ll offer the top candidate the role and start the onboarding process
If you have any questions about the process, want to chat through the role, or are interested to find out what other roles we are hiring, please contact email.
No agencies please.